The ultimate carrots
COOKS IN40 MINUTES
OF AN ADULT’S REFERENCE INTAKE
- 1.5 kg carrots , use heritage ones if you can find them
- 2 clementines
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 large knob of unsalted butter
- ½ a bunch of fresh thyme
- Peel the carrots, then you can chop, quarter or halve them, but I like to leave them whole with the tops on. Don’t worry, this recipe will work however you prep them so just get them ready your favourite way.
- Place the carrots in a large, wide pan and just cover with cold water. Add a good pinch of sea salt and a pinch of black pepper, the clementine juice (you can use oranges instead, if you prefer), vinegar and butter.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 20 minutes, or until nearly all the liquid has evaporated.
- Once the butter starts to glaze the carrots, add the thyme sprigs and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 5 minutes, or until caramelised and delicious.